Court Order Modification

If you or your family has already been to court and the court issued an order, then the parties could have the option of modifying the terms of the court order. For example, a court may issue an order for child support, spousal support, parenting time, etc.

The Court Could Modify:

  • Allocation of parental rights, including parenting time and visitation
  • Child support, including tax exemption and medical provisions
  • Spousal support, but only if jurisdiction to modify is reserved in decree
  • Agreed modification of property settlement The court will generally consider modifying a previous court order if there has been a change of circumstances

Changes of Circumstances Could Include

  • Loss of job
  • Getting a new job
  • Either party remarrying
  • Moving out of state
  • Criminal convictions/ prison sentence
  • Concerns about safety of children
  • Not able to comply with the current terms of the court order

Experienced Family Lawyers

Whether you are looking to change of the terms of your current court order or you want to keep the terms the same but the other party has filed to modify the court order, it is important to hire a lawyer for best results. Attorneys Heather Johnston and Eli Heller can assist you in this matter. They handle all issues relating to Modification of Court Orders and Domestic Relations in Portage and Summit Counties, OH.

You can contact them at 330-296-8000 (Ravenna Office) and 330-686-2890 (Stow Office) for a free consultation. No obligation.


The website is designed for general information only. Any information on this site is not to be construed as formal legal advice from a criminal defense lawyer, a DUI lawyer, a family law lawyer or wills, probate, trusts and estate planning lawyer, nor formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek personal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

The attorneys in our law firm primarily service Portage County courts (Ravenna and Kent), and Summit County courts (Akron, Stow, Barberton). Cases in all other courts in North East Ohio, including Cuyahoga County courts (Cleveland, Garfield Heights, Bedford, Parma, Rocky River etc...) are handled under specific terms and conditions.